Thursday, December 11, 2008

Questar Guy

On Tuesday, I got a phone call. I answered it. The man on the phone said he was Tim from Questar Gas. He said he was calling because Questar is doing a promotion where they send a guy to your house to inspect your attic. He said that most people lose 40% of their heat through the attic because it is not insulated correctly. He promised there was no obligation to buy anything, but if we needed insulation Questar would pay for half of it. He asked if there was a good time to send someone out. I said sure (if I am losing money through my roof, I would like to know.) We decided that Wednesday at 11:00 a qualified inspector would come to my house. I got off the phone and thought "That was weird. I didn't think the Caller ID said Questar." I checked and it didn't. It said "wireless caller."

So I decided to redail and change my appointment to Friday, because Steve would be home. I called the number and he answered saying "This is Tim."

I asked "Is this Questar?"

"Yes, Tim with Questar customer service." he replied. We rescheduled the appointment. But then I got to thinking. This seemed a little off. I told Steve and he agreed. We decided that I should call Questar and ask if they were doing this promotion. I called Questar today and they said it was not them. After hearing this, Steve decided to call the Layton Police department. We filed a report and the officer said he would check into it.

About a half hour later, the police man called. He said that he called the number and talked to Tim. Tim had just lost his job and was trying to figure out ways to make money. This was one of his ways. He was going to come to our house and blow some insulation in the attic and bill us for it. Real honest man, huh? The cop said that he won't be coming to our house now. And that he sent the report to the city attorney to do something with.

I just thought I would warn all of you, don't let "Questar" come look in your attic.

3 comments:

Lena Phillips said...

Eek! That's scary! Good thing you guys looked into it. I don't think I would have.

B Flat Major said...

That is a great thing to post. Thanks for the heads up, and good job for being smart and double-checking.

Melissa said...

Wow! That IS really scary. At least he was just trying to make money and wasn't a killer or something!! Great job at letting us know and calling the cops!