Sunday, June 14, 2009

Heidelberg Castle

Today, after church, we went to the Heidelberg Castle. It is about an hour away from our hotel. It is a really old castle. The original castle was built in the early 1200's. It did get destroyed many times during different wars, but was always rebuilt. We saw the remains of some of the destruction. It also had an amazing view from the top. My battery on my camcorder just died, otherwise I would post a video of that. It was beautiful! Here are some pics...they explain better than I can.


My boys and me on top of the castle.


Steve and the boys.








Inside the castle they had the biggest kegs I have ever seen. The biggest one held up to 230,000 liters of beer and that was just the king's keg! I bet he was a happy man!

Also inside was the biggest protractor I have ever seen. It was the size of a large wall. They must have done a lot of geometry!

5 comments:

soccer mom said...

I want to come visit. Those pics are so cool. Have fun tomorrow when Steve has to go to work.

Lena Phillips said...

Oh my heck! That castle is inredible!!

Amy said...

I am so glad for blogging so we can live vicariously through you as we sit here NOT exploring castles and learning about math and beer.

Glad to hear you made it there safe!

Jennifer said...

Oh, I miss Europe. Isn't it great? You have so much more to see. I'm glad you arrived safely and seem to be having a great time. I look forward to seeing even more pictures.

B Flat Major said...

You should have taken a picture of the keg. I'm guessing that rather than being a Happy man, most of the time the king was a Near-Comatose man.